Tuesday 14 April 2009

Winter's dying but not dead

I received a not so lovely surprise this morning. Snow. Wet and windy, too. I know why this happened. I put away the kids' snowsuits and winter gear this weekend.



Even the kids groaned at having to gear up again. They looked at the weather station and saw that it was 0ºC. They asked why they needed to wear scarves, toques, and mitts since it was so warm. I ended up giving them an impromptu lesson on humidity and how it relates to temperature.

They got a biology lesson this morning at the bus stop, too, as we huddled together against the wind like penguins. The topic discussed was how the female penguins used up stored body fat to lay an egg whilst the male penguins were out feeding so store up fat to get ready to incubate the egg at -65ºC temperatures.

I never pass up an learning opportunity.

1 comments:

Aida said...

ick, i dont like spring..esp the slush, still tons of snow and no sign of melting here... :-(