Saturday 26 July 2014

White Saskatoon Berry cake with Sauce

We had a really nice dinner tonight of baked spinach pesto cod packets, mixed grain rice, and steamed broccoli, so I thought I would make an easy dessert, too.

I took a basic cake mix and tossed in a cup of Saskatoon berries.  Whilst the cake was baking, I made a sauce of an equal ratio of berries and Tropical Five Alive juice (I had some that had to be used up).  I cooked it for about 15 minutes, mashed some of the berries, and then tasted it.  It would have been very good for a meat sauce at that point, but for a dessert sauce it needed to be a bit sweeter.  So, I added some sugar and then after that dissolved, I added a bit of cornstarch slurry to thicken it slightly.

The Tropical 5-Alive juice actually gave it a nice citrusy finish.

The kids had theirs with vanilla ice cream.  I had about 1/3 of their portion and I had mine with vanilla frozen yogurt.






Saskatoon Berry Sauce

2 cups berries
2 cups juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cold water

Combine berries and juice in a saucepan, Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Mash some of the berries.  Add sugar and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Mix cornstarch and cold water. Add to boiling berry mixture.  Stir until thickened.  Remove from heat.

Makes one 500-ml jar of sauce.


0 comments: