Friday 15 August 2014

Bread, Beets and Fish

I finally (!) had some time today to tackle the beets.  I ended up with six 1-litre jars and one 500-ml jar of canned beets.  Plus, as an added bonus, I now have six 1-litre jars of beet stock.  The stock will add a nice sweet & peppery flavour to stews or soups, or I can make a pretty pink rice.

Whilst the beets were being canned, I decided to make some fish stock.  My bag of frozen seafood scraps was pretty full, mostly with salmon scraps, so I got a nice lovely salmon stock.  My one Ziploc bag of scraps, plus some stock vegetables, made six 750-ml jars of salmon stock.  Salmon chowder is in the future, for sure.



Lastly, I made some Honey Grain bread.  However, I forgot that my oven electronics shut off when I'm canning (the heat is too much for them), so after the final rise I had to put the loaf in the fridge until I was done canning the salmon stock.  It turned okay, just not as high as normal.



Tomorrow, salsa, relish, and kimchi.

0 comments: