Saturday 6 September 2014

Canned Corn

Taber corn!  Yay! 

Joel went out early this morning and brought home a sack of Taber corn.  OMG!  It's so sweet you could eat it raw!

I reserved 6 cobs for tonight's dinner (Salmon Chowder in Bread Bowls), but the rest was for canning.


The twins helped me shuck the corn.  Look at all that sweetness!


I found a "food hack" awhile back, and I decided to try it out.  I must say it works like a charm.  Trim the corn from the top of the corn cob.


Then insert the trimmed end into the hole of a bundt cake pan, and continue cutting the corn off the cob.  It works very well.



Into a pot goes 1 litre of water and 3 litres of corn.


The corn is brought to a boil then packed into hot jars.  The jars were then pressure canned at 15 pounds pressure (because I'm at elevation) for 55 minutes (pints).

I ended up with 18 500-ml jars of canned corn.


I ended up with an extra 1 litre of corn so that went into the fridge for dinner later this week.  Well, except for this little bit.  This was my late lunch.  Yum!


I didn't throw out the cobs, though.  Those will be turned into a corn syrup.  However, that's another post.

2 comments:

Purple Kitty said...

A bundt pan. Brilliant! I'm definitely going to try this.

Brigitte said...

It works really well!